Chili soup is a classic chili recipe that is prepared on the stove. It has only 4 ingredients plus water and takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. I use ground chicken, but you can prepare the recipe with ground beef, ground chuck, ground turkey or sausage. For Vegetarian Chili use potato cubes or squash cubes in place of ground meat. Using kidney beans adds protein, fiber, and healthy B vitamins, and the tomatoes are full of antioxidants. Who knew a simple chili recipe could be so delicious and easy as well as healthy and comforting on those cold days and nights!
Why is it called Chili Soup?
Chili soup has lots of liquid broth that is very soothing and delicious. It is comfort food that warms you up on a cold night. Traditional chili recipes often have less liquid and result in a thicker stew texture. This recipe is simple to prepare on the stove with easy ingredients. For a delicious dinner serve chili soup with our corn casserole recipe without butter. For dessert try our key lime cake for a delicious ending to dinner!
How to Make Chili
First, brown 1 pound of extra lean ground chicken or organic ground chicken in a skillet on high heat. Because it is so lean using a non-stick skillet works great. It takes about seven minutes on the stovetop to cook.
Next I like to rinse and drain the cooked chicken by placing it in a colander in the sink and running hot water over it. From there I transfer it to a large boiler or Dutch oven on the stove. Add 1 package of French’s Original Chili-O mix, one 15oz. undrained can of red kidney beans, one 14.5oz. can of undrained diced tomatoes, and 1 cup of water.
Finally, stir and heat on high for 10 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan. If you are not ready to eat immediately, let it simmer on low stirring occasionally or remove from heat and cover.
Alternately you can add a little extra water before cooking if you like your chili soup thin, or you can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to 1/2 cup hot water (mix well with a little whisk or fork to keep out the lumps) if you like the juice thicker.
Chili Topping Ideas
For variety try some favorite topping for chili that include:
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Saltine Crackers
- Oyster Crackers
- Diced Avacado
- Frito Lay Corn Chips
- Tostito Corn Chips
What to Serve with Chili for Dinner?
Pair some of my favorite side dishes for chili such as:
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Pimento Cheese Sandwich
- Corn Casserole
Can I Freeze This Chili Recipe?
Chili refrigerates well and is also easy to freeze. Begin by cooling chili completely then placing in a freezer safe dish or storage bag. It will keeps well for 3 months in the freezer. To reheat place frozen or thawed chili in the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
What Types of Meat to Use for Chili?
These meats work well in this simple chili recipe:
- Ground Chicken
- Extra Lean Ground Chicken
- Organic Ground Chicken
- Ground Turkey
- Ground Beef
- Extra Lean Ground Beef
- Ground Chuck
- Various Grades of Ground Beef or Chicken
Other Simple Recipes to Try
See this recipe for Chili Soup on Christy Jordan’s Meal Plan Monday at Southern Plate.
- 1 lb. extra lean ground chicken breast (Can use any ground meat (turkey, pork, or beef) in place of extra lean chicken breast)
- 1 package French's Original Chili-O Mix (Original or Original with Onions)
- 1 can 15oz can red kidney beans (undrained) (Light or Dark Kidney Beans)
- 1 can 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (undrained) (Any Brand)
- 1 cup water
- Brown 1 pound of extra lean ground chicken in a skillet. It takes about seven minutes on the stove to cook chili soup.
- Pour cooked ground chicken into a colander and run hot water over it in the sink. Pour rinsed chicken into a large boiler or Dutch oven.
- Add 1 package of French’s Original Chili-O mix, one 15oz. undrained can of red kidney beans, one 14.5oz. can of undrained diced tomatoes, and 1 cup of water.
- Stir and heat on high for 10 minutes. Continue to stir every few minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!