Philly Cheesesteak Hoagies can be prepared and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Prepare this recipe with chicken instead of beef or a healthy alternative. Combine bell peppers, onions, and your choice of other ingredients such as mushrooms and jalapenos. Top with swiss cheese for a mouth-watering treat. Faster than fast food – and you know what’s in it. See our recipe below for easy directions to make this Chicken Swiss Philly Hoagie today!
How to Make Swiss Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
For a healthy Philly cheesesteak, use chicken instead of beef. Begin by cutting 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into thin slices. Place in a bowl. Chop 2 onions and 2 bell peppers and add to the bowl. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil in bowl and mix well. Heat skillet on medium high heat and add chicken, bell peppers, and onion. Stir constantly until chicken is done and onions and bell peppers are tender – about 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
In another skillet or on a griddle, heat 1/2 cup olive oil or butter on medium high heat. Place open hoagie buns face down in olive oil or butter and toast until golden. Remove from heat and place buns on serving plate. Top with Swiss cheese, cooked chicken, bell peppers and onions. I like to add jalapeno’s for some spicy flavor. Serve and enjoy!
What Makes a Great Philly Cheesesteak?
Key ingredients to making a great Philly Cheesesteak include tender juicy meat, bell peppers and onions, Worcestershire sauce and melted Swiss cheese. You can add other favorites to customize the recipe with mushrooms, jalapenos, and mustard. Place the hot meat and veggies on a hoagie bun and you can sit down and enjoy a great sandwich!
What Kind of Cheese to Use for Phillycheese Steak?
Mozzarella, Provolone, and Swiss Cheese all work well on a Philly Cheesesteak Sub. You can place a slice on the bun and top with hot meat and veggies to melt the cheese.
Can You Prepare Philly Cheesesteak for Make-Ahead or Freezer Meals?
Yes, the meat mixture can be cooked, cooled and frozen for a great make-ahead or freezer meal. When ready to prepare, thaw meat with bell pepper and onion mixture. Heat and serve on toasted Hoagie Buns with cheese!
Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks for a Meal on the Go
Sports practice or other activities often require eating on the go. Prepare the cooked Philly Cheesesteaks and wrap individual sandwiches in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped sandwiches in a lunch box or empty cooler. You can place a warming pad if you need to keep it hot for a longer period of time. Another great alternative is to place the wrapped Philly Cheesesteaks in a casserole dish with a warming pad. They will keep warm for at least an hour. Everybody will be happy with this on the go meal!
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich Made with Chicken
- Cutting Board
- 6 Breasts Chicken, Boneless and Skinless
- 1 Cup Onions, Sliced
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers, Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil or Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Jalapenos in a Jar
- 4 Buns Sliced Hoagie Buns
- Cut chicken breasts into thin slices and place in a large bowl.6 Breasts Chicken, Boneless and Skinless
- Cut onion and bell peppers into thin slices and place in the bowl with chicken.1 Cup Onions, Sliced, 1 Cup Bell Peppers, Sliced
- Add 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil to chicken, bell peppers and onions.1/4 Cup Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- Heat skillet on medium high.
- Add chicken mixture and cook until chicken is done and onions and bell peppers are tender – about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce to mixture and cook 5 minutes.1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- Remove skillet from heat.
- In another skillet or on a griddle, heat 1/2 cup olive oil or butter on medium high heat.1/2 Cup Olive Oil or Butter
- Place sliced Hoagie buns face down in butter and toast until golden.4 Buns Sliced Hoagie Buns
- Remove buns and place on serving plate.
- Top with cooked chicken, bell peppers and onions.
- Add a slice of Swiss Philly cheese. I tear it in half to fit the buns.
- Place a few Jalapeños (from a jar) on top.1/2 Cup Sliced Jalapenos in a Jar
- Close buns and serve.