Chicken Cheesesteak can be prepared and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Prepare this recipe with chicken instead of beef for a healthy alternative. Combine bell peppers, onions, and your choice of other ingredients such as mushrooms and jalapenos. Top with Swiss cheese, American or Provolone for a mouth-watering treat. Faster than fast food – and you control what ingredients are in it.
How to Make Chicken Cheesesteak at Home
For a healthy Philly cheesesteak, use chicken instead of beef. Begin by cutting 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into thin slices. To make the slices very thin freeze the chicken for 30 minutes before slicing with a sharp knife. Place chicken strips in a bowl.
Chop 2 onions and 2 bell peppers and add to the bowl. Pour 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil in bowl and mix well. Heat skillet on medium high heat and add chicken, bell peppers, and onion. Stir constantly until chicken is done and onions and bell peppers are tender – about 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
How to Toast Buns
In another skillet or on a griddle, heat 1/2 cup olive oil or butter on medium high heat. Place open hoagie buns face down in olive oil or butter and toast until golden. Remove from heat and place buns on serving plate. Top with Swiss cheese (or your favorite variety as long as it melts well), cooked chicken, bell peppers and onions. I like to add jalapeno’s for some spicy flavor. Serve and enjoy!
Key ingredients to making a great Philly Cheesesteak (whether a chicken cheesesteak or beef) include tender juicy meat , bell peppers and onions, Worcestershire sauce and melted Swiss cheese, Provolone, or American cheese. You can add other favorites to customize the recipe with mushrooms, jalapenos, and mustard. Place the hot meat and veggies on a hoagie bun and you can sit down and enjoy a great sandwich!
American Cheese, Provolone, and Swiss Cheese all work well on a Philly Chicken Cheesesteak Sub. You can place a slice on the bun and top with hot meat and veggies to melt the cheese.
Yes, the meat mixture can be cooked, cooled and frozen for a great make-ahead or freezer meal. When ready to prepare, thaw meat with bell pepper and onion mixture. Heat and serve on toasted Hoagie Buns with cheese!
Sports practice or other activities often require eating on the go. Prepare the cooked Chicken Philly Cheesesteaks and wrap individual sandwiches in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped sandwiches in a lunch box or empty cooler. You can place a warming pad if you need to keep it hot for a longer period of time. Another great alternative is to place the wrapped Philly Cheesesteaks in a casserole dish with a warming pad. They will keep warm for at least an hour. Everybody will be happy with this on the go meal!
Other Recipes to Try
- 6 Breasts Chicken, Boneless and Skinless (or Rotisserie chicken sliced thin)
- 1 Cup Onions, Sliced
- 1 Cup Bell Peppers, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ Cup Olive Oil or Butter
- ½ Cup Sliced Jalapenos in a Jar
- 4 Buns Sliced Hoagie Buns (Philly Buns or Sub Buns)
- 4 Slices Cheese (Swiss, Provolone, or American Cheese)
- Cut chicken breasts into thin slices and place in a large bowl.
- Cut onion and bell peppers into thin slices and place in the bowl with chicken.
- Add 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil to chicken, bell peppers and onions.
- Heat skillet on medium high.
- Add chicken mixture and cook until chicken is done and onions and bell peppers are tender – about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce to mixture and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- In another skillet or on a griddle, heat 1/2 cup olive oil or butter on medium high heat.
- Place sliced Hoagie buns face down in butter and toast until golden.
- Remove buns and place on serving plate.
- Top with cooked chicken, bell peppers and onions.
- Add a slice of Swiss Philly cheese or Provolone or American. I tear it in half to fit the buns.
- Place a few Jalapeños (from a jar) on top.
- Close buns and serve.