Air Fryer Donuts are great for breakfast, brunch, snack or dessert. They are so easy to make with biscuits, sugar and cinnamon in about 10 minutes. Bite into a hot fresh donut covered with melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon sugar for a taste that is simply amazing!
The full recipe is below, but to give you a quick idea of what is needed I will run through the ingredients I used. You probably have them in your refrigerator and pantry already. If you want to see air fryers and recommended products please visit my Kitchen Essentials page.
You will need a can of biscuits. I used Grands but any brand will work fine in the air fryer. If they are regular size biscuits they will be a little smaller and cook a little faster than Grand size biscuits. More bites to enjoy!
You will also need 1/2 cup sugar and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon. Mix it together in a bowl with a spoon. Set it aside until the biscuits are done and coat the donuts while they are hot.
Olive oil and optional butter is needed. Brush olive oil on the dough before cooking and after turning. You can use butter to dip the cooked air fryer donuts in before coating with cinnamon sugar mixture. I used olive oil and it tastes delicious without using butter.
How to Cut Holes for Donuts
I had an empty spice jar and used the top to cut the holes. It worked great! You can also use a biscuit cutter or even a large soda bottle top that you have washed first.
Lay biscuits on a cutting board. Push cutter through center. Pick up donut and remove hole from middle.
You can cook the center donut holes in the air fryer basket for some extra yummy bites!
How to Prepare Donuts for Air Frying
Place donuts in air fryer basket. Be sure they don’t touch each other. You may have to cook additional batches for the whole can of biscuit dough.
Lightly brush uncooked dough with olive oil using a pastry brush. You can spray them with olive oil instead, but I like the control of placing it on them with a brush. Don’t use Pam cooking spray or other cooking sprays in your air fryer. It will cause the pans to lose their nonstick quality.
How to Cook Air Fryer Donuts
Set Air Fryer to 360° for 8 minutes. Check after 4 minutes and turn. Brush olive oil on other side after turned and cook for remaining 4 minutes. Be sure to check on them close to the end of time so they don’t get too brown. Add additional minutes if needed to get golden donuts that are cooked well.
Remove them when they are golden brown by using a pot holder or handle to remove the basket and set it on a heat proof surface. I used a spatula to remove them from the basket.
Coat hot donuts in the bowl of cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.
Variations and Serving Ideas
- Use cocoa powder and sugar instead of cinnamon and sugar for coating.
- Top with whip cream and berries.
- Drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
- Ice with tube icing and cover with sprinkles.
How to Store Cooked Donuts
Cool donuts and place in a plastic bag or sealed container. They will keep at room temperature for a couple of days. You can also store them in the refrigerator for a week. To reheat, warm them in the air fryer for a few minutes or wrap in paper towels and microwave for about 10 or 15 seconds.
Pro Tips for Air Frying
- Use the drip tray if your air fryer has one to catch spills. If not, use parchment paper to catch spills.
- If you use racks instead of the air fryer basket, they will need to be swapped top to bottom half way through. The top gets hotter than the bottom and food burns easier on top.
- Use Olive Oil instead of sprays. A pastry brush makes the job simple and easy.
Put them in an airtight container or plastic bag. They will keep at room temperature for 3 days.
No, it is best to use olive oil. Either brush, spray or spritz olive oil for the best results. Pam will cause the nonstick finish to deteriorate.
You can use parchment paper or aluminum foil in an air fryer. However, I usually put the drip tray in the bottom and wash it when cool without lining the air fryer.
Air Fryer Donuts
- 1 can Biscuits (I used Grands but any brand will work)
- ½ cup Sugar (granulated white sugar)
- 1 TBLS Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup Olive Oil (use a pastry brush to coat donuts)
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and stir with a spoon to mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Open can of biscuits and place biscuit dough on cutting board.
- Cut holes from center of biscuits.
- Place biscuit dough in air fryer basket.
- Brush with olive oil and place basket in air fryer. Set Air Fryer temperature to 360° for 8 minutes.
- Cook for 4 minutes and turn biscuits.
- Brush lightly with additional olive oil and cook for remainder of 4 minutes. Add additional minutes if needed to get to perfectly golden colored donuts.
- Remove from air fryer and brush with olive oil (or optional melted butter).
- Coat donuts in bowl of cinnamon sugar. Turn donuts over several times to coat well.
- Serve immediately.