Black Eyed pea soup is one of my favorite easy and flavorful vegetable soup recipes. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook. See the full easy recipe below. Enjoy!
Black Eyed Pea Soup
Nothing beats a steaming hot bowl of soup on a cold day to make you feel warm and cozy. Hence, black eyed pea soup is a perfect combination that is full of vitamins and it is so easy to prepare. I like to use pork tenderloin that I cooked in my Instant Pot for the meat in the soup because it is healthy and easy. We eat half of the pork on a BBQ pork salad and then use the other half for this soup.
What Ingredients to Use in Your Black Eyed Pea Soup
You can easily use leftover cooked chicken, ground beef, Italian sausage, pork or rotisserie chicken. Additionally, sprinkle some Cajun seasoning on whatever meat you use and it will have extra flavor. If you want to cook your own black eyed peas try our Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Recipe. It is quick and easy to prepare. As a result you can use some of the peas for soup and save some for a side dish for another meal. Two for one is always a plus!
How to Make This Recipe
Combine canned diced tomatoes, canned black eyed peas, chicken broth, cooked meat (pork, chicken, sausage or beef), chopped fresh onion, carrot and celery in a 6 quart stockpot or Dutch oven. If you prefer you can use fresh tomatoes and fresh peas.
Add seasoning: red pepper and Cajun seasoning. Stir and heat on stove for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Serve with grilled cheese, crackers, or cornbread for a delicious comforting meal to warm you up. Another dinner idea is to serve with a green salad for a soup and salad combo.
If you have an instant pot it is easy to combine the ingredients and seasoning in the pot, seal, and press the soup button and adjust to 10 minutes or use manual for 10 minutes. Be sure to close the sealing vent before pressing start. See our guide for How to Cook Using Your Instant Pot. It will take about 10 minutes for pressure to build then cooking should only take about 10 minutes once the instant pot comes up to steam pressure and begins to cook. Steaming the soup in the pressure cooker releases the delicious flavor for your soup.
Why is Homemade Soup Healthy?
By using ingredients that you control in your recipes you can eliminate extra saturated fat, salt or sugar that is abundant in processed food. Therefore you can use fresh, frozen, or healthy low sodium or low fat canned items in your recipes to eliminate the bad and infuse it with healthy vitamins and minerals.
The American Cancer Society recommends eating a variety of vegetables to boost immunity and stay healthy. See their article to add fruits and veggies to your diet. As a result of making your own recipes, you control the amounts of ingredients. This allows you to supercharge your meal with extra vitamins from larger volumes of vegetables or protein with extra lean meat. Homemade soup is fresh and taps into the fresh goodness of the ingredients you choose.
Yes. Seal cooled soup in a plastic storage bag or container and freeze. It will stay fresh for 3 months.
It can but the meat must be cooked thoroughly. Some cuts of meats are greasier than others so you might want to pre-cook it a few minutes to drain some of the fat off first.
Salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, soup mix or taco mix all work well to flavor the soup.
Black Eyed Pea Soup
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 16 oz. cans black eyed peas (drained, but not rinsed)
- 1 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 2 cups Cooked chopped pork (or chicken, sausage, or ground beef – be sure the meat is cooked)
- 1 onion (large)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into small round chunks
- 1 ½ cups celery, chopped into small round chunks
- ¼ tsp. red pepper
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- Place all ingredients in a 6 quart stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Stir to combine ingredients.
- Heat uncovered, stirring occasionally, on top of the stove on high heat until soup starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium high and simmer about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Serve immediately with crackers, peanut butter sandwiches or grilled cheese.
- If you use your instant pot place all ingredients in pot, seal, and press soup button or manual for 10 minutes. Release pressure, remove top, and serve! We also have a great post on how to use your instant pot.