Black Eyed pea soup is one of my favorite Southern vegetable soup recipes. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to cook so see the full easy recipe below. Enjoy!
Something to Warm You Up on a Cold Day
Nothing beats a steaming hot bowl of soup on a cold day to make you feel warm and cozy. Hence, black eyed soup is a perfect combination that is full of vitamins and it is so easy to prepare. I like to use pork tenderloin that I cooked in my Instant Pot for the meat in the soup because it is healthy and easy. We eat half of the pork on a salad and then use the other half for this soup.
What Ingredients to Use in Your Black Eyed Pea Soup
You can easily use leftover cooked chicken, ground beef, Italian sausage, or rotisserie chicken. Additionally, sprinkle some Cajun seasoning on whatever meat you use and it will have extra flavor. If you want to cook your own black eyed peas try our Instant Pot Black Eyed Pea Recipe. It is quick and easy to prepare. As a result you can use some of the peas for soup and save some for a side dish for another meal. Two for one is always a plus!
Why is Homemade Soup Healthy?
By using ingredients that you control in your recipes you can eliminate extra saturated fat, salt or sugar that is abundant in processed food, especially in canned soup. Therefore you can use fresh, frozen, or healthy low sodium or low fat canned items in your recipes to eliminate the bad and infuse it with healthy vitamins and minerals. As a result, you control the amounts as well. This allows you to supercharge your meal with extra vitamins from larger volumes of vegetables or protein with extra lean meat. Homemade soup is fresh and taps into the fresh goodness of the ingredients you choose.
Black Eyed Pea Soup
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 16 oz. cans black eyed peas (drained, but not rinsed)
- 1 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 2 cups Cooked chopped pork (or chicken, sausage, or ground beef – be sure the meat is cooked)
- 1 onion (large)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into small round chunks
- 1 ½ cups celery, chopped into small round chunks
- ¼ tsp. red pepper
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- Place all ingredients in a 6 quart stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Stir to combine ingredients.
- Heat uncovered, stirring occasionally, on top of the stove on high heat until soup starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium high and simmer about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Serve immediately with crackers, peanut butter sandwiches or grilled cheese.
- If you use your instant pot place all ingredients in pot, seal, and press soup button or manual for 10 minutes. Release pressure, remove top, and serve! We also have a great post on how to use your instant pot.