How Long To Bake Salmon at 350 Degrees
This healthy baked fish recipe is easy, delicious and quick to prepare by baking thick salmon at 350 for 15 minutes or a few minutes less if the filets are thin. A good rule of thumb is 12 to 15 minutes but keep an eye on it during the last few minutes to be sure it is not getting overcooked.
Properly cooked salmon should be light, tender and flaky when it is done. It is one of my go-to dishes for a dinner idea because you can use frozen (think in my freezer already) or fresh fish.
If using frozen fish, just place the salmon in its plastic wrapped package in a dish in the sink. Next, run cold water over it and it will thaw in about 15 minutes. Be sure to remove from the plastic bag before cooking. I like to prepare Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes for a side that goes well with salmon while the fish thaws and the oven preheats. Add some greens like fresh steamed broccoli or a salad to complete the meal.
How to Prepare Salmon to Cook in the Oven
To prepare the salmon, place thawed or fresh salmon in a shallow baking pan. Alternate methods to cook include using a cedar plank or wrapping fish in aluminum foil. Those results require the same amount of cooking time at 350 (12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness).
Next squeeze about 1/2 of a fresh lemon on the salmon. Alternately you can use reconstituted lemon juice if that is what you have on hand.
Follow by grinding fresh ground pepper generously on top. Lastly, place pan in a preheated 350° oven on the middle rack. Cook for about 12 minutes until fish flakes easily. Be sure to not overcook. If you are using fresh salmon and the pieces are thick, it might take 15 minutes. Finally remove from oven when the fish flakes easily with a fork and serve with your favorite side dish.
Is Eating Salmon Healthy?
Salmon contains Omega 3 fatty acids and is a great source of protein. It is high in B Vitamins, Potassium, Selenium and Antioxidants. Eating Salmon regularly will help your heart, lungs, skin, muscles, brain and it helps fight inflammation and lower cholesterol. Read the recommendations from the FDA: Advise About Eating Fish. Salmon is a healthy and nutritional powerhouse!
Healthy Baked Salmon Recipe
- 2 fresh or frozen salmon fillets
- 1 fresh lemon or 3 tsp. reconstituted lemon juice
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- If using frozen salmon place 2 packages of the salmon in its plastic wrapped package in a dish in the sink. Run cold water over it and it will thaw in about 15 minutes. Remove from plastic before cooking.
- Place thawed or fresh salmon on a shallow baking pan. I like to cover the pan with foil before using so there's no pan to clean up afterwards.
- Squeeze about 1/2 of a fresh lemon on each piece of salmon. You can use reconstituted lemon juice if that is what you have on hand.
- Grind fresh black pepper generously on top.
- Place pan in a preheated 350° oven on the middle rack. Cook for about 12 minutes until fish flakes easily. Do not overcook. If you are using fresh salmon and the pieces are thick, it might take 15 minutes. Remove from oven when done and serve with your favorite side. Enjoy!