Instant Pot Cabbage is an easy side dish recipe to prepare using green or savoy cabbage. We love it as an inexpensive and different green side dish to serve with dinner!
Instant Pot Cabbage
Cabbage is a superfood. It is a cruciferous vegetable just like broccoli, kale and other greens.
This leafy green is a powerhouse of vitamins and nutrients. It is an anti-inflammatory food, contains powerful anti-oxidants and is high in fiber.
There are many varieties and colors available. Some of the most common are green, red, and purple and white.
Raw cabbage is shredded to make coleslaw. The different colors of raw leaves can give your coleslaw a variety of colors or use one type of for color consistency.
Instant Pot Cabbage – Seasoning
We use olive oil for flavoring instead of butter for buttered cabbage. This makes it perfect for a healthy diet (like the Mediterranean Diet) using healthy oils. It has lower fat instead of using butter.
You can use vegetable broth for vegan or vegetarian side dish or to add a little different flavor. You could also use chicken broth instead of water to cook the vegetable in the instant pot.
Add onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, or Cajon seasonings before cooking to infuse the flavors in the instant pot while cooking.
What is Savoy Cabbage?
Savoy cabbage is a variety that is milder and sweeter than regular green or white types. It has wrinkled leaves that give it a delightful texture compared to smooth green or white types. It tastes wonderful flavored only with a little olive oil and cooked in the instant pot.
Instant Pot Cabbage Recipe Ingredients
For this easy recipe you will need a head of cabbage (savoy or green ), water, olive oil and optional seasonings if desired.
Cabbage – Savoy or green or white
Optional Seasonings – Salt, Pepper, Cajun Seasoning
Optional Broth – Instead of water use chicken broth or vegetable broth.
Instant Pot Cabbage – Pressure Cooker Instructions
Cook cabbage in the pressure cooker to retain all of its healthy vitamins and keep its fresh taste. Let me warn you – once you try cooking in the Instant Pot you won’t want to go back to your old cooking method of boiling cabbage!
- Wash and cut cabbage into small pieces.
- Place water and cabbage into instant pot.
- Season as desired with salt, pepper, Cajun seasonings or your preference.
- Add olive oil.
- Close lid and turn to seal.
- Turn valve to sealing.
- Press manual (high pressure) for 7 minutes. (Time can be adjusted to 4 minutes for firm or 7 minutes for softer.)
- Release pressure by turning valve to venting.
Instant Pot Cabbage Related Recipes
Other pressure cooker recipes that will help make your life easier:
Pressure cook cabbage for 4 to 7 minutes depending on how soft or firm you want the cabbage to be. Shorter time of 4 minutes will result in firm cabbage and 7 minutes will make it softer.
Yes, cabbage is a vegetable. You can eat the leaves raw or cooked.
Yes, cabbage has many vitamins and minerals. It is an anti-inflammatory food and full of antioxidants.
Instant Pot Cabbage (Savoy Cabbage)
- head Cabbage (washed and cut)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Remove outer leaves from head of cabbage. Rinse cabbage thoroughly under cold running water in the sink.
- Roughly chop the green leaves into 2 or 3 inch sized pieces and place in a bowl. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Pour cut cabbage directly into the silver bowl in your Instant Pot.
- Cover with one cup water and add about a teaspoon of salt according to your taste and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Set to manual for 7 minutes. If you like firm cabbage you can set it to 5 minutes instead.
- After cooking is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure with a slotted spoon. Keep your fingers clear of the steam.
- Turn Instant Pot off, unplug and carefully remove top.
- Serve and enjoy!