What are pecan puffs?
It is an understatement to call pecan puffs a cookie. It is the best melt-in-your-mouth decadent treat that you will ever eat!
They are a perfect combination of buttery goodness with pecans, shaped into small balls. Bake them at a low temperature and then roll in confectioner’s sugar. They have a buttery texture filled with pecans that is not too sweet. The baked puffs are covered with confectioner’s sugar making a wonderful indulgence for your taste buds in a tiny package. Pecan puffs are also called Mexican wedding cookies, Russian tea cakes, snowball cookies and our favorite Christmas cookie!
How do pecan puffs taste?
Light buttery balls with pecans rolled in powdered sugar gently crumble in your mouth. The powdered sugar melts on your tongue. They are absolutely delicious – so good that you might need to make a double batch!
When to make pecan puffs?
These treats are wonderful for any holiday meal whether it is Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year’s, Valentines, Easter, or Fourth of July. They are always a hit at picnics, potlucks, backyard barbecues, or tailgate parties. At Christmas they look beautiful served on a red or green plate. Pecan puffs are perfect for cookie swaps – if you can bear to part with them. They make great teacher gifts, neighbor gifts, or hostess presents. As you can see, they work all holidays. But the best time to make them is when you want to share them and make someone feel extra special. No matter when or where you serve them you will come home with an empty plate!
Directions for making pecan puffs
The complete recipe is below for measurements and detailed directions. To make the pecan puffs allow 30 minutes to mix it up and roll out the balls. Then it will take 45 minutes to bake them and about 10 minutes to roll them in sugar.
What is the hardest part of making pecan puffs?
Without a doubt the hardest part is waiting for the puffs to bake slowly in the oven while the aroma fills the house with anticipation. Hungry little faces appear out of nowhere wanting to know what smells so good. It seems like an eternity as you wait those last few minutes after you remove them from the oven. It is hard to wait just long enough so they are cool enough to handle and roll in the confectioner’s sugar. Finally the moment arrives when they are ready to eat and the house is filled with a satisfied hum of yum as everyone enjoys their own melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Enjoy something extra special with your family and friends soon!
You might also like to try our recipe for Sausage Cheese Balls.
Pecan Puffs – The tastiest melt-in-your-mouth cookie you’ll ever eat!
- ½ Cup Butter or Margarine (1 stick)
- 2 TBLS Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 Cup CAKE flour (like SwansDown® brand) (Like SwansDown® brand)
- 1 1 lb. box 1 (1 lb.) box confectioners sugar
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl with mixer until soft. (It creams easier if you let the butter set out at room temperature until it is soft.)
- Blend in sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir in flour and chopped pecans.
- Combine all ingredients by hand and form a large dough ball.
- Pinch off small pieces of dough and form into 1 inch balls. It should make about 20.
- Bake on a well greased cookie sheet in a 300° oven (middle rack) for 45 minutes until very lightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- When warm enough to handle, roll each ball in confectioners sugar in a bowl. Roll them twice for a thicker coating.