Sausage cooked in the oven is one of the easiest and cleanest ways to make an easy sausage biscuit sandwich. You can add gravy, eggs, cheese, salsa and other favorites for variety.
Cooking sausage in the oven is so much easier, cleaner and almost hands off for preparation. Sausage patties only need to be turned once and they are baked to perfection. Put a pan of biscuits in when you turn the sausage and the meal is ready at the same time. Clean up is a breeze and you can freeze any leftovers for another great breakfast idea!
How to Cook Sausage Patties
Divide a pound of ground sausage into 8 portions. Make each portion into a round patty about 1/4 inch thick and place them in a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish. Bake in a 375° oven for 10 minutes. Turn sausage patties using a spatula. Bake another 10 minutes until done. The patties will have shrunk in size and be moist in its juices.
How to Cook Biscuits at the Same Time as Sausage Cooked in the Oven
For this recipes canned biscuits cook perfectly alongside the sausage patties on a separate pan in the oven. I like to use the large biscuits. Simply place biscuit dough on a 9 x 13 cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until brown.
If you put the biscuits in the oven at the same time you turn the sausage patties, you will finish at approximately the same time. Remove sausage patties from the oven first and keep an eye on the final minute or so for the biscuits.
Cool biscuits on a wire rack to keep the bottoms from getting soggy or soft. Be sure to check the directions on the biscuit can for the optimum temperature and time.
Variations for Sausage Biscuit Sandwich
Add your favorite toppings to create gourmet breakfast sandwiches in no time. Some of my favorite combinations are:
- Scrambled Eggs
- Fried Egg
- Cheese – Cheddar, Jalapeno, Colby Jack
What Kind of Sausage to Use for Sausage Cooked in the Oven
- Ground Pork Sausage
- Turkey Sausage
- Frozen Uncooked Sausage Patties
Biscuits for Sausage Biscuit Sandwich
- Canned Biscuits – Regular or Grand size
- Frozen Uncooked Biscuits
- Homemade Biscuits from Scratch
Yes. Cool patties and place in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or oven. Great for make ahead freezer meals for breakfast!
You can, but I think it works best if you freeze then separately. I like to thaw the biscuits and put them in the toaster oven for about 2 minutes to reheat. I microwave the sausage for a minute and combine with the crispy, flaky biscuits from the oven. Just a few minutes and you have the easiest breakfast ever!
I like to cook them at 375° so the temperature needed for the biscuits is the same. If you are just cooking sausage the temperature can range from 350° to 400°. You will need to cook a little longer at a lower temperature, but the results are still wonderful.
Yes, whether it’s to enjoy at work or in the car on a trip just wrap the heated sausage biscuits in aluminum foil and put in a paper bag or lunch box to insulate. They stay warm for quite a while.
Cooked sausage gives you a head start for breakfast casseroles, breakfast muffin tin recipes, omelletes, and sausage pinwheels made with crescent rolls. Use fresh or frozen cooked patties for the breakfast meat in many dishes!
It is good for a one person breakfast, a two person breakfast or a family. Save leftovers for another meal or add another batch to cook if you need more for a large group.
Other Breakfast Ideas
Banana Oatmeal – Just a few minutes for creamy goodness!
Breakfast Casserole – Delicious now and later!
Morning Glory Muffins – Bursting with flavor!
Sausage Cooked in the Oven
- 1 lb ground sausage (pork or turkey)
- 1 can 8 biscuits (I used large, but any size will work)
- Separate sausage into 8 round patties and place in a 9×13 casserole.
- Open a can of biscuits and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place sausage casserole dish in a 375° oven for 10 minutes.
- Take out sausage casserole dish and flip the patties with a spatula. Return to oven.
- Place biscuits in the oven.
- Cook sausage casserole dish and biscuits on cookie sheet at the same time side by side in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Be sure sausage has cooked thoroughly and shrunk in size. Remove from oven.
- Wait another minute and remove biscuits when golden.
- Cut biscuits in half and place sausage in the middle.
- Ready to serve or add your favorite ingredients like cheese, fried egg, scrambled egg, bacon, gravy or salsa.
- Serve and enjoy!