These easy Halloween Cupcakes start with brownie mix, large marshmallows and a prepared tub of icing. Use food coloring to match colors to party theme: ghosts, monsters or Frankenstein cupcakes!
This post may contain affiliate links for which I earn a commission. Read my affiliation policy here.
Why This Recipe for Easy Halloween Cupcakes is So Good
Quick – Ready in about 30 or 40 minutes.
Easy – Use boxed brownie mix and prepared icing to make decorating fun.
Variety- Halloween or birthday party theme: think Monster Cupcake or Frankenstein Birthday Party
Fun – Creative, cute and delicious!
Looking for other cake recipes? Try our Key Lime Cake from Boxed Mix. A delicious tropical flavored cake with green icing – perfect for green party themes.
What You’ll Need to Make It
Ingredients – Box of brownie mix, tub of vanilla icing, food coloring, large marshmallows.
Equipment – Oven and a cookie sheet. Bowl, spoon, and a wire rack
How to Make this Recipe
Bake brownies in miniature cupcake pan and cool. Attach a large marshmallow for the head. Color icing with food coloring and melt in small batches to pour over cupcakes. Pipe gel icing eyes and mouth.
Use green icing for Frankenstein Cupcakes. Black gel icing for face marking and hair.
Use white icing for spooky ghost cupcakes.
Make Monster Cupcakes with scary facial and eye expressions. Match colors to Halloween or Birthday Party Themes.
Watch melting time when melting icing. You want it smooth enough to pour over cupcakes, but not too runny!
Place iced cupcakes in freezer or refrigerator to speed up setting time for icing before piping face or hair.
Place on a small paper plate and put in a Ziploc bag, or put straight in a Ziploc bag with air so it doesn’t get mashed.
These will last a couple of days for best freshness.
Looking for More?
Like to cook using your air fryer? Check out a few of our popular recipes:
Easy Halloween Cupcakes
- 1 box brownie mix
- 1 tub vanilla icing (reserve some unmelted for attaching marshmallows)
- 1 box food coloring
- 8 large marshmallows
- 1 tube gel icing (for eyes and mouth)
- Prepare brownie mix and bake in mini cupcake pans as directed on package instructions.
- Place on wire rack to cool. Be sure flat side is up.
- Divide icing into small bowls for the colors you want reserving some to attach marshmallows. Add food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Melt each icing in bowl for about 10 to 15 seconds. Watch carefully. You want the icing to melt slightly to the consistency to pour over cakes. Add additional 2 or 3 seconds until desired consistency.
- Place spoonful of unmelted icing on inverted cupcake. Attach large marshmallow. Pour or spoon melted icing over each cupcake and let run off for effect desired.
- Place in refrigerator for a few minutes or let set on counter. After icing has set somewhat, pipe eyes and nose.
- Serve and enjoy!