Strawberry Pie Recipe
Enjoy this easy strawberry pie recipe using fresh, ripe strawberries for a sweet strawberry pie filling topped with Cool Whip whipped cream for a decadent dessert!
Strawberry Pie Filling Ingredients
Fresh strawberries, washed and sliced.
What Pie Shell to Use for this Strawberry Pie Recipe
For a crisp buttery crust, bake a raw deep dish frozen pie shell and let it cool before adding fruit filling. Be sure to poke holes in the bottom of the raw crust before baking and bake until lightly golden. It will take about 12 minutes to bake and about 10 minutes to cool while you prepare the filling.
You could also use a prebaked graham cracker pie shell or other pre-cooked pie shell. If you use a graham cracker crust it won’t stay fresh as long and will get soggy so plan to eat it immediately.
How to Wash Fresh Strawberries
Begin by removing the stems. You can pinch them off or cut them with a sharp knife. Try to leave as much of the strawberry as possible since it is so sweet underneath the stem area.
Next wash whole strawberries in a bowl of water. Fill bowl with clean water and strawberries in the sink and drain the water off the strawberries. Repeat 3 times for clean strawberries.
The Best Way to Cut Fresh Strawberries
The best way to slice washed strawberries is hold one by the small end of the berry on a cutting board.
Slice from the large end to the small end with your other hand making small round slices. Place slices in a bowl for use in the filling.
How to Make Strawberry Pie Filling
Place half of the washed and sliced strawberries in a medium size boiler. Be sure the boiler is large enough to allow for the mixture to expand while cooking. You don’t want it to run over.
Add sugar, salt, cornstarch and water. Stir to combine. Turn burner on stovetop to high heat.
Stir constantly and cook until mixture is thick. It will foam up and boil while cooking, then settle down and cook down. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom while it cooks.
Stop cooking when consistency is like thick smooth jelly. Remove from heat and allow to cool. To speed up the cooling process, scrape filling into a clean bowl and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
Add remainder of strawberries to the cooked pie shell and spread evenly. Pour cooled filling top and spread to sides of crust.
You can serve immediately and top with Cool Whip or refrigerate pie for a cold strawberry pie and serve chilled with whipped cream.
Does Strawberry Pie Need To Be Refrigerated?
Yes, cover and refrigerate the pie to keep it fresh longer. It won’t spoil if left out for a while but will keep for several days in the refrigerator. It does not freeze well.
Cool Whip also needs to be refrigerated after opening. It is frozen when you buy it so put it in the refrigerator before using so it is light and fluffy to spread.
Serving Suggestions Strawberry Pie Recipe
This easy homemade pie is perfect for dinner, picnics or cookouts, office parties, block parties, birthdays and holiday celebrations.
Since it is a vibrant red it works well for Memorial Day, Fourth of July and even Christmas. Add a few blueberries for a patriotic red, white and blue. Add Kiwi slices for a red and green combination for Christmas.
Of course it is perfect for National Pie Day which usually comes around in January. And who doesn’t love pie at Thanksgiving?
Can I Use Frozen Strawberries to Make This Pie?
Frozen strawberries can be substituted for many pie recipes. However, this homemade pie from scratch has a much better wholesome flavor if you use peak of the season fresh strawberries. Frozen strawberries work well in cobblers.
Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbls corn starch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 16oz container cool whip
- 1 deep cooked pie crust
- Prepare pie crust and bake according to package instructions. It will take about 12 to 15 minutes to bake. Let cool while preparing pie filling.
- Wash and slice 4 cups fresh strawberries.
- Add sugar, corn starch, salt, water and 2 cups of the strawberries to a boiler and bring to a boil.
- Stir continuously for about 7 minutes on high heat until mixture thickens. It should foam up at first then get thicker as it cooks. Cook until it reaches a soft and thick jelly consistency.
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool. To speed things up, transfer strawberry pie filling to a clean bowl and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries to cooled pie shell. Spread evenly.
- Pour cooled strawberry pie filling on top of uncooked strawberries in pie shell. Spread evenly.
- Serve immediately for room temperature pie or refrigerate for a cold strawberry pie. Top with whip cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers.