Phyllo Chicken Recipe is perfect for making phyllo dough recipes. These chicken twists can also be shaped in triangles, squares or even baked in a casserole dish.
The flaky baked dough makes a crisp outer shell for a delicious combination of chicken, coleslaw, carrots, onion, cumin, and chili powder.
Phyllo Chicken Recipe – Ingredients
Chicken – ground chicken or even rotisserie chicken can be used. Alternatively, for hamburger taste use lean ground beef or ground chuck.
Angel hair coleslaw – gives texture and flavor to the mixture.
Shredded Carrots – flavorful and colorful vegetable addition.
Onion – Chopped and sautéed with the meat to add flavor and textures.
Cumin – spiced for seasoning.
Chili Powder – spice to add a little boldness to the flavor.
Sliced Avocado – Optional topping or side dish.
Ranch Dressing – Regular or fat free for dipping.
Sweet and Sour Sauce – Option for dipping sauce.
What is Phyllo Dough?
Phyllo, fillo or filo dough is unleavened pastry dough that is used to make savory or sweet baked phyllo dishes. It is used in Baklava and other Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes.
It has a thin, flaky texture when baked and can be layered, folded, ruffled, rolled or stacked depending on the recipe.
Phyllo dough can be found in the freezer section of the grocery store. It must be thawed before using.
Phyllo Chicken Recipe – How to Make
First you will cook ground chicken or ground beef in a skillet along coleslaw, carrots, onions, cumin and chili powder. It will take about 7 minutes to fully cook mixture.
After the mixture is fully cooked remove it from the heat.
Next assemble phyllo dough sheets in the shape desired. Squares for twists or rectangles for folding into a triangle. Seal and place on a greased baking sheet.
Cook phyllo dough twists or triangles stuffed with cooked filings at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 17 minutes or until golden.
Serve phyllo immediately with avocado, salsa, ranch, sweet and sour sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Phyllo Chicken Recipe – Step by Step Instructions
1. Thaw phyllo dough before using.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Place 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound raw ground chicken, 1 cup angel hair coleslaw, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, and 1 small chopped onion in a skillet.
4. Sprinkle Chili powder, cumin and salt on mixture.
5. Cook filling ingredients for stuffed phyllo for about 7 minutes until chicken is done and vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir frequently while cooking.
6. Set skillet aside.
7. Spray 2 cookie sheets with olive oil or Pam.
8. Assemble phyllo chicken recipe by taking 3 sheets of phyllo dough and placing them on a plate. Add about 2 or 3 large tablespoons of the cooked meat mixture. Place 3 more sheets of phyllo dough on top.
9. Roll up the phyllo and chicken mixture. Twist ends to close. Alternately fill in triangle shapes.
10. Place stuffed phyllo on cookie sheets.
11. After all are phyllo chicken twists or triangles are on cookie sheet spray (or brush) olive oil on top of each of them.
12. Cook phyllo twists or triangles with filling in preheated oven for about 17 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
13. Serve phyllo twists or triangles on a plate with avocado and ranch dressing. If you prefer you can serve with salsa or sweet and sour sauce.
Phyllo Chicken Recipe – Serving Suggestions
The mixture inside includes lean ground chicken, angel hair coleslaw, shredded carrots, onion, salsa, and a few spices.
Place the cooked mixture in the phyllo dough squares, twist like a firecracker and bake until golden. The twisted shape is great for parties such as New Year’s celebration or 4th of July.
We served phyllo chicken with sliced avocado and fat-free ranch dressing, or you could serve with sweet and sour sauce. Celebrate with something different that everyone will enjoy!
For appetizers cut phyllo dough into smaller triangles, squares or rectangles. Watch closely when baking and adjust to a shorter time for smaller pieces to cook.
Phyllo Chicken Recipe – Storage
Leftover phyllo chicken can be cooled and placed in a sealed container or storage bag. They will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen phyllo chicken in the refrigerator the night before and reheat in an oven or toaster oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until hot.
Phyllo Chicken – Related Recipes
Chicken Swiss Philly Sandwiches – A hearty chicken cheesesteak sub sandwich with chicken, bell peppers, and onions topped with Swiss Cheese.
Meatball Marinara Sub – A flavorful meatball sandwich smothered in Italian marinara sauce and topped with cheese.
Chicken Tetrazzini – All fresh ingredients for a flavorful chicken casserole without cream of chicken, cream of mushroom or other cream soups.
Phyllo Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive oil spray (or use regular olive oil and brush it on)
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 cup angel hair coleslaw
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup salsa (optional for dipping)
- 1 – 16 oz. package frozen fillo dough that has been THAWED
- ⅔ cup ranch dressing (optional for dipping)
- ⅔ cup sweet and sour sauce (optional for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound raw ground chicken, 1 cup angel hair coleslaw, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, and 1 small chopped onion in a skillet.
- Sprinkle Chili powder, cumin and salt on mixture.
- Cook for about 7 minutes until chicken is done and vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir frequently while cooking.
- Set skillet aside.
- Spray 2 cookie sheets with olive oil or Pam.
- Assemble phyllo chicken recipe by taking 3 sheets of fillo dough and placing them on a plate. Add about 2 large spoonfuls of the cooked meat mixture. Place 3 more sheets of fillo dough on top.
- Roll up the fillo and chicken mixture. Twist ends to close. Alternately fill in triangle shapes.
- Place on cookie sheets.
- After all are phyllo chicken twists or triangles are on cookie sheet spray (or brush) olive oil on top of each of them.
- Cook in preheated oven for about 17 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown.
- Serve on a plate with avacado and ranch dressing. If you prefer you can serve with salsa or sweet and sour sauce.